Sunday, February 18, 2007

Cold Miser

Did any of you watch all the Christmas specials every year on television - you know, those of you who are old enough to remember the days before VHS and the ability to watch them every day????? I absolutely loved those one-time a year shows - Charlie Brown Halloween/Christmas, Frosty, Rudolph and (my all-time favorite) The Wizard of Oz. My favorite Christmas special was always The Year Without a Santa Claus. Mainly because I loved the Heat Miser and Cold Miser, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I can still sing the songs. :)

Today, I've decided that I am officially the cold miser.

I flew into Tampa this evening - will be here through Thursday, and found out at the airport that they are planning on experiencing a record low tonight of 38 degrees. Huh????? What happened to 70's and sunny?

And guess who didn't check the weather report again today before she packed?

You got it - the corporate trainer with summer skirts, cute summer tops and open toe shoes. (sigh) I am cursed. I'm sure of it.

Sure is a good thing I'm writing a book about being unlucky. I have plenty of life experience to draw upon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once packed my son for a senior trip to Washington DC. The weather was all over the place that spring--30's to 70's. I chose only 2 colors that looked good on him:blue and brown, and bought 2 pairs of medium weight slacks and jackets, and several shirts and sweaters of various weights so that he could add or remove according to the temp.Worked well. Everything went with everything else.
You could do the same thing by choosing jacket/skirt/slack combos that you could wear with either warm long sleeved sweaters or skimpy shells, and always take both.
I don't think it's you. Weather is not predictable this time of year. I nearly froze to death in South Carolina one year because I thought it would be warmer in the winter and spring than it actually was. Also, some buildings are kept so cold in the summertime one needs a sweater. I used to keep a certain jacket in the car for wearing to a certain movie theater that was cold year round.
Did you ever get to feeling better? Did you get rested? Did you find time to write over the weekend?

Anonymous said...

Wow, you really have bad travel weather karma, don't you? *hugs*

Wendy Roberts said...

My parents live in Winnipeg where it is often -40 *shudder* So I gave them a trip to Vegas a couple Christmases ago and it actually snowed in Vegas while they were there. They must share your bad weather karma LOL.

Jana DeLeon said...

I was feeling somewhat better before I arrived in Tampa and have been feeling much better since. I don't have any allergies in Florida so I think that makes a huge difference since I wasn't sure if my problem was allergies or cold or both.

Tori - yes, I seem to be an anomaly with the weather. :)

Wendy - lol on the parents. Are you sure I wasn't in Vegas that weekend?????

The worst part is - they had a huge heat wave in Dallas today and it was supposed to get up in the 70's - right after I left of course.

Anonymous said...

We lived in the Tampa area for 10 years and remember a few times that the orange groves were using their sumdge pots. Gee, that sure felt cold to us then and probably would now at my age of almost 86.

Here in Denver, Colorado though it would be felt to be a bit Springlike.

Jana DeLeon said...

Hi doug and welcome! Yes, I paid Denver a visit the week before Christmas last year and got stuck in that lovely blizzard. At least I wasn't at the airport. Denver has had a wild winter this year. I hope you're almost done as I'm scheduled to be back there next month. God bless you for weathering all that at 86. Digging my car out almost killed me and I'm 39. :)

 
An Austin DesignWorks Production