Thursday, January 25, 2007

Tagged!

My friend, Colleen, tagged me with this list of questions. I'd love to give you the title, but when I went to check her blog for it, the blogger had crapped out and I couldn't get to it. (you gotta love the internet). So away we go.

Contemporary, Historical, or Paranormal?
Mostly contemporary with light paranormal (especially gothic) and very few historicals

Hardback or Trade Paperback or Mass Market Paperback?
Mass market paperback all the way – you can hold them in one hand leaving the other free for food or a beer.

Heyer or Austen?
You know, I am sooooooo not a classics or literary person, so I have to admit I’ve never read either. If it wasn’t required in high school, I’ll probably never read it.

Amazon or Brick and Mortar?
Brick and Mortar unless it’s out of print or so old no one stocks it any longer. Especially now that I understand “sell-through” I try to help my fellow authors out by buying in a store where they have visibility.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?
Barnes & Noble – mainly because every B&N around the country I’ve walked into has had multiple copies of RUMBLE on the shelves. Some Borders didn’t have any.

Woodiwiss or Lindsay?
Haven’t read either.

First romance novel you ever remember reading?
It was that Harlequin line for young adults. Then I moved on to Sweet Valley High. But I guess technically, Trixie Beldon DID have a romance going with Jim. :)

Alphabetize by author Alphabetize by title or random?
Genre first, then by favorite author. If a series, grouped in order of release.

Keep, Throw Away or Sell?
Keep or donate (rarely sell). NEVER, EVER throw away!

Read with dustjacket or remove it?
Remove dustjacket.

Sookie Stackhouse or Anita Blake?
Sookie Stackhouse

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
When tired. I’ll fall asleep reading if I don’t.

“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
Probably “it was a dark and story night” – especially if it’s a cool gothic.

Crusie or SEP?
Crusie, but only based on her earlier works.

Buy or Borrow?
Buy new.

Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendation or Browse?
Recommendations or browsing.

Tidy ending or Cliffhanger?
Unless it’s a series – wrap it up. And even in a series, if you keep something hanging too long, I will loose interest and stop buying.

Morning reading, Afternoon reading or Nighttime reading?
Ha! Like there’s a schedule in my life – reading is whenever I have the opportunity.

Series or standalone?
Both.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
I honestly can’t think of one. I have very basic reading tastes.

That's it for me - I'm tagging Cindy and Wendy!

8 comments:

Wendy Roberts said...

Yay! Thanks for tagging me :)

Anonymous said...

Trixie Beldon DID have a romance going with Jim.

This is a very good point. :) Not to mention Honey & Brian and Diana & Mart. *g*

Jana DeLeon said...

hi Wendy - can't wait to see your answers!

tori - are you a TB fan, too???? Did you know they're re-releasing all the books. Like one every other month. I'm acquiring the entire collection. :)

Kimber Li said...

Very interesting.

Hey, I was wondering if you could blog about marketing. What ideas worked? What didn't? Do you go on many book signing? Conferences? What did the publisher provide? How hard did you have to work marketing Rumble? What do you anticipate doing with the next one?

Just curious. Sorry if you've already done this one. I don't have time to read the archives right now.

Thanks a bunch!

Anonymous said...

I am a MAJOR Trixie Belden fan!!! I still own all my copies from when I was a kid. Up through the newer volumes from the late 1970s and 1980. Then something happened in 1984, different writers, I assume. Volumes 35-39 were dreadful. In fact, they were so bad, I ended up selling them because they weren't MY TB & Co.

On the plus side, when I sold them, I got mucho bucks for them for some weird reason. Lord only knows why people wanted them so badly. *g*

But since they're re-releasing them maybe I should get new copies because some of mine are pretty tattered shape...

Jana DeLeon said...

Yeah, tori - that whole old books thing can be quite profitable. I'm glad to hear the warning about the later books. I can't say that I read them. Maybe I'd already gotten to old to care by the time they were released????

kimber - I plan on writing some info about marketing but will probably make it a website article since it will probably be too long for a blog. Essentially, though, no one can tell you what works. There's no way to quantify it. That's why it's so hard to figure out what to do. I mean, I ran advertising on FreshFiction - how many sales did I get from it - I don't know. I got some web traffic. It's basically a crap shoot. But when I post the article I'll let everyone know. Most likely it won't be until after I've turned in UNLUCKY.

Jae Arronson said...

Another major Trixie Belden fan here! I still have all of the old books too! I always thought Nancy Drew was a little too prudish and wimpy compared to Trixie and the gang!

I loved this meme, Jana. I may just steal it - if you don't mind, of course.

Jana DeLeon said...

Go ahead, sassy. Consider yourself officially tagged after the fact! :)

ps. I kinda thought Nancy was wimpy too.

 
An Austin DesignWorks Production