Tuesday, January 31, 2006

WRITING IN CHAOS

So my life is a bit chaotic right now - I'm an accountant, so the day job is a nightmare that goes without saying to anyone who's every known an accountant in January. And of course, my house is torn up for the great moving adventures which will take place the first of March - three months ahead of time (and with one week's notice from my contractor - thank you very much). The marketing plan shaped up nicely, but I've got that big, heavy albatross of a proposal hanging over me and I can't seem to get it to work.

The problem is, I am SUPPOSED to be writing with humor and there's just not a darn thing funny or even remotely amusing about my life right now. Well, technically, I guess the bath bed thing and ripping my husband's boss's stairwell to shreds was worth a laugh, but that was weeks ago and I can't seem to get my funny bone geared up for proposal writing.

Any of you write humor? If so, how do you get your "funny on" when life is anything but amusing?

Interested writers want to know.

2 comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Jana, I'm sorry the proposal is tough right now. When my life is busy like yours is, I can't seem to get the creative muse going either. It's as if your head is focused on too many other things to concentrate. I don't know your deadline, but I wouldn't try to force it. It's makes your project seem overwhelming.

I don't write humor, but I highly recommed the Shopaholic series for good laughs and a relaxing read. Good luck, I hope things go more smoothly soon. =)

Jana DeLeon said...

Thanks, Kelly. The proposal technically isn't "due" any time, BUT Rumble comes out in October and this is supposed to be my next book which we haven't exactly sold yet. So if I don't get on the stick soon, I'll be crunched even more producing the full.

Maybe I need to try something for laughs.

 
An Austin DesignWorks Production