Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Movies on a Plane

So I've been taking the portable dvd player with me when I travel so I can watch movies on the plane. It seems to pass time faster than reading which means I only notice how uncomfortable I am every ten minutes and not every five. I decided to go back to the beginning of the X-Files and start rewatching them from Season 1 so I could go through to the end. I need the refresher because I kinda fell off watching once DD left but now I want to know how it all ends and can't really remember all the conspiracy so I'm reviewing. And loving it.

Unfortunately, on this last trip, I thought I had one cd left to go in Season 1, which would have been plenty for the two legs of the trip, but I was mistaken. Turns out disk 7 was all director commentary. Argh! And I'm left with a 3 hour flight ahead of me and no movie. So I headed to Best Buy and went to searching. My husband has an extraordinary dvd collection, so it's hard to pick up something we don't already have, so my visit took a while and several phone calls to avoid duplication.

I finally picked up a movie I should have already watched but just hadn't gotten around to - Secret Window. I love Stephen King, love LOVE LOVE Johnny Depp, and I am a writer, but I hadn't managed to watch this movie. So I bought it.


SPOILER: Here's my problem - I kinda thought it was cool that he killed his wife and her lover. I figure they had it coming. Now, I think it's absolutely impossible he could have gotten away with it. I mean, after all, corn doesn't grow overnight. So two people disappear, in the middle of a divorce settlement, and all of a sudden the soon-to-be-ex-husband has decided to turn dirt in his back yard and no one checked????? Not likely. And I have to admit that I knew by the second scene with the "killer" that it was all in Johnny's mind and he was actually the bad guy.

So did you see Secret Window? If so, what did you think about it?

6 comments:

Jaye Wells said...

I totally didn't know it was him as early as you did. I guess I was too hypnotized by Johnny. Is it me or did the fact he was a writer in that movie make him that much more attractive?

Colleen Gleason said...

I havne't seen it yet,so I didn't read your whole post. I love Johnny Depp too.

Should I see it?

Jana DeLeon said...

Jaye - you're asking the wrong person about JD being attractive. I've been a JD junkie since 21 Jump Street. Hell, I'd take him as flaming Captain Jack and still love him - dirt, gold teeth and all. :)

Colleen - definitely you should see it. Then let me know what you think. I think it's a really cool movie for writers to see because I think we might get a depth of understanding out of his character that non-writers will never understand.

Jana DeLeon said...

Wendy - you're not a freak, but perhaps outside the norm in my group of friends. :)

Diana Peterfreund said...

i don't think he's attractive in Secret Window. I also figured Turturro out early, though not the rest of the plot. Once you realize it's Stephen King, you kind of know where he's going with it, though...

Jana DeLeon said...

Diana - I think you hit on an important item - because I knew it was SK, I was definitely looking for the twist.

 
An Austin DesignWorks Production