Saturday, December 31, 2005

The Book Year in Review - Take 4

Book number 4 was a big surprise for me. It was one of those guilt purchases - you know the kind - I met the author at National, thought she was wonderful and bought her book at the big signing. Let me preface this by saying - I do not read historicals. And the reason I don't read historicals is because I absolutely am not interested in history. It was my worst subject in school (both high school and college), so I've avoided everything but a contemporary setting like the plague.

But I bought the book, so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

And I LOVED it!

Book 4 is The Mistress of Trevelyan by Jennifer St. Giles.

The heroine is believable and an underdog that all readers will root for. There's that touch of gothic mystery - "did his wife kill herself, or did she have help" and "is she haunting his mansion now" and the hero is hot, hot, hot and so obviously hiding something. There's plenty of secrets, revelations and surprisingly enough, some down right humorous parts to this books. In fact, I liked it so much that I literally closed the book after the last page, got up from my recliner and went to the bookstore to buy the sequel.

And this is a DEBUT book! With talent like this from a first book, what an incredible future this woman has and I can't wait to follow it through.

2 comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Wow, another great recommendation! I don't read many historicals myself. Lisa Kleypas is pretty awesome, but when I'm at the bookstore, I'll check this one out, too. =D

Jana Armstrong said...

You should read His Dark Desires, the sort-of sequel, featuring Stephen T. Set in New Orleans during Reconstruction, it is absolutely wonderful.

 
An Austin DesignWorks Production